Monday 6 February 2012

The end...

So we come to the end of 'Paul in Uganda'. This is where I'm supposed to say how I can't believe it's all over already and, whilst the hours of travelling and the pleasantly cool arrival in the UK have left me in no doubt that I am no longer in Uganda, it is strange to think of not going back into work tomorrow; it feels a bit like this is just a very expensive weekend away. Primary among the reasons for this are the few little things hanging over: chasing up that drugs order with the government and that application and so on. It's weird to think of all the knowledge and skills I won't be using anymore, especially the lack of opportunities to make the most of my 'mastery' of local English.

The last week in Mbale predictably flew by. I did get some work done, but still had lots of fun trying to see and talk to people for the last time and also squeezed in a 22nd birthday!


Lunch with Village staff
Birthday celebrations officially began on the Monday evening with a 'surprise' party at GJH that featured good food, wonderful cake, delightful company and Settlers (I'd be more complimentary about it had I won as the nearly-birthday-boy clearly deserves). Some of the cake was carried forward to kick start the day proper which retained the usual Tuesday trip to the village but had much of the work removed from it. Some of this was because I ended up having to drive to visit a member of staff whose newborn child was not well enough for her to come back to work yet. I sometimes struggle to convey the question "How are you?" over a phonecall, so discussions of the different options for her would have been impossible which meant I got to drive to her house up in the foothills of Mount Elgon. It was a wonderful drive that also included some great off-roading when the road became more of a track than something designed for a 4-wheeled vehicle. We all had a lovely chicken lunch at work and I said sad goodbyes to the staff there. In the evening, everyone from our compound had dinner together and we had a lovely evening before I stole off to chat with the twin.

Joash helping my cut my second cake!
Thursday was my last day at work and it proved at least a little productive with me remembering to back up all the exciting things I'd been involved in as well getting to say goodbye to lots of the staff which was nice if sad.

This all led to me leaving Mbale on Friday to spend my last weekend in Uganda down in Jinja with Dan, Nat, Tiff, Ruth and Melanie which was a wonderful treat. Friday fun was hampered a bit by regular trips to the toilet, but the weekend was full of good fun, good food (more bargainous ribs), good games (yeah, I won Settlers) and good chats. Those guys are wonderful and have been a huge blessing (particularly in the mediums of food and banter).


There's a definite element of sadness in thinking about all the Uganda times being over, especially when I think of not being there tomorrow for Monday morning prayers, working out what jobs need to get done in the week etc, but I'm sure that Joan and Rose will do a wonderful job. My time in Uganda has been absolutely brilliant. That's not say there haven't been frustrating times, despondent times, head-bashingly annoying times or just plain boring times, but to say that I look back on the time as an amazing learning experience as well as a time featuring great people involved in great things as well as a time where God has been faithful in providing for me, keeping me well and teaching me lots about Himself and me. I wrote 5 pages of reflections yesterday, so do ask me for more information if you want.

I've got quite a few things lined up for the next month with a wedding, a stag do, a conference in Oxford next week and so on, plus a few jobs I'm planning to apply for. Prayers for the latter would be especially appreciated.

Thank you everyone who has been supporting me through words spoken to me or to God whilst I've been away, all those who sponsored my not talking all that time ago, those who have read faithfully (or at least occasionally). It's been a blessing and I really appreciate it.

Love you and hope to see you soon (unless you're some weirdo who's stumbled across this blog),

Paul Gladwell
pauldgladwell@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. I regret reading this. It's made me sad. Looking forward to probably catching up in the summer :)

    ReplyDelete