Monday 19 December 2011

Irregular

Diarrhoea, thankfully, has nothing to do with this blog (except verbal… right, funny), but whilst my bowels stay constant and true to me, the rest of life seems to have gone slightly crazy. Now I don’t think that all change is bad and not all things here are changing (indeed, the lunches at work have followed the same weekly pattern since I first arrived) but I can definitely say that things will never be the same again.
(Some things will never change)
One major network of roots for the Tree of Change has been Christmas, running through the pavement of my life and causing little folds that I trip up on if I’m not careful (this image comes from our ‘carpark’ at the Hospice where soil erosion has turned the roots of one tree into a miniature system of terracing). On Saturday morning, I waved goodbye to several lovely people including Tiff, Ali, Ben and Ruth who have headed home for Christmas. Their departure significantly affects the odds of Christmas weight-gain and it was quite sad to see them go.
Still, the remaining crew have still got plenty planned that will infuse life with Christmas cheer. Excitingly, we’ve got Christmas pudding (our thanks to Steve and Lorraine Thomas) AND brandy sauce! It looks like we’re set for a Christmas BBQ in the evening where it is rumoured there will be sprouts which seems a serious achievement (and a bbq-ing conundrum). Unfortunately, our turkey is already dead (as of last Monday) and now partially eaten (as of yesterday)… whoops. With the goat conspiring to be pregnant, and the turkey forcing the hand that wielded the knife it looks like it’s gonna be chicken for lunch.
I am that cute
Christmassy feelings are now appropriately strong. The Christmas trees at home and friends’ houses have helped (as have some of the ones in shops in town but lots of them just look amazingly miserable), as did present giving at our Christmas/leaving party on Friday and also another exciting gift from home, but in honesty it’s the overload of carols on Friday and Saturday evening that’s made the big difference. You’ll be pleased to know I’m now singing and whistling carols at passers-by.
Unfortunately, the week has also conspired to throw up some unseasonable problems that now jar with the festive cheer. These range from people refusing to give us the drugs that we ordered in Kampala and have to collect before Christmas Eve, through Vincent continuing to bodge up bank things (it’s a good thing we’re not paying him by the hour) onto a rather large problem with staffing for the village clinic come January. Needless to say, I think having a five-week holiday is probably a better way to do Christmas.
On Wednesday I went to renew my visa again. Given the fact that I had inadvertently ended up bribing the senior immigration officer last time I did this, I went in with a gently militant mood. I went in, told the guy how long I wanted my visa to be extended by and he stamped it. He then asked me for “something for Christmas”. Now, I’m no expert on bribery, but I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to ask for the money before giving the person what they want (I think I learnt that from Friends). Anyway, rather than advise him on this, I got a little bit carried away berating him for abusing his position and acting in a “bad” way (that’s right, I went there!).
Inspired to fight for justice (and my money), I decided I might try to get my original money back. Unfortunately, the Senior Officer wasn’t in and I ended up spending ten minutes alternating between continuing to berate the guy for being ‘bad’ and even  and trying to extricate the number of his boss. After I got the number I thought it would be simple enough to find him and then convince him to give me my money back (or at least a receipt so the government got it instead of his wallet). However, like in a film, he’s so far inadvertently foiled my attempts by being generally disorganised and forgetful (you could say he’s dundering). Even better (from an external perspective), he’s unconsciously fighting back. He phoned me at 7:47 on Saturday morning (which was early considering we had a wild party followed by Settlers the night before) to tell me he’d be back from Kampala in the afternoon; he’s a cunning man. In the evening he called to apologise and reschedule following him failing to make it back in time. Needless to say, I’m close to giving up until after Christmas!


I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!
Lots of love
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment