Monday 15 August 2011

Progress

That's right, I've caved and gone for a title that has a subjective definition. Wait, no, I've changed my mind. It refers exclusively to progress through the reports and (as usual) to my time here. Better.

I'm afraid, you've caught me in a rather strange mood today. I began the day a little tired, but then expended lots of the remaining energy onto three excessively long bank queues as I strived to achieve a few modest goals. Worse, these queues led to lunch being delayed to 4:30 (it's usually about 2 here which I'm steadiy getting used to)... One saving grace (in addition to THE Saving Grace) was that I finally went to find out about these brownies which an American lady who works for a children's home sell via a local cafe. Needless to say, they were the bomb, especially after far too long without quality cake/baked things.

Some of my tiredness comes from very good things. The annual reports are now finished (basically)! We had the meeting where they were presented and people didn't seem to mind too much that I still haven't found 300,000 shillings. Finding the money went well. I had t fight the urge to avoid inputting data that made the gap bigger and was rewarded on Thursday afternoon when I found 6.5 million shillings! Hooray! I was loud and overly cheeful for the rest of Thursday and most of Friday as a result.
Saturday was packed, but good. I went to Sipi falls (see photos) which were stunning. A bit of rain made the paths slightly more eventful than they usually are but thankfully the only person to fall over was myself. As much of the mud is a bright red colour, I wore a beautifully conspicuous badge of honour on my rear for lots of the walk back. The drive there was pretty fun. I'm starting to get used to Ugandan driving so the experience is increasingly enjoyable, especially when the road is in such beautiful surrounds as it was on Saturday. [That said, I did have a slightly unfortunate moment when driving on Tuesday. I got a little impatient on the drive back as we'd left the village clinic later than usual and then I'd gotten stuck behind a medium speed vehicle half way back. When we joined the main road (which is dreadful), we got stuck behind two exceedingly slow lorries. When the two vehicles in front set off for an overtake, I followed and off we went over to the other side of the road. Unfortunately, the mud bit next to the road decided to then go down below the level of the road by several inches so I was stuck behind two other cars driving as much on the wrong side of the road as possible. The Dr wasn't totally entertained.] We raced back [and I got cahnged out of the wet and slightly dirty clothes] to be ready for the Medical Execuive Committee Meeting. This meeting was god in the sense that the outcomes we wanted came out, but bad in that it took FOUR AND A HALF HOURS. Wow. Once I'd eaten my samosa and banana, the time started to become a bit of an issue. Plus, some people disagreed with me... I couldn't understand what was going on! Anyway, that over, I went out to dinner. This was wonderful. Great food, great company and then I got home! Unfortunately, before I went to bed, I had to check the footie and cricket scores so it turned into quite a long day.

I won't treat you to a low-byblow update for the rest of the week, but it's been a good week with real progress (see what I'm doing here) on several fronts (exclusively those mentioned at the start). Still, there's plenty to do! I've come across a bit of a problem in that I'm already a little buiser than I think I'd like to be, but haven't yet fitted in all the things I'd like to be involved in...

In response to several questions: church things are decent. The church isn't overly charismatic, but I enjoy the praise and worship. Notices are like UK notices but more drawn out. Preaches vary. Other than church, I've got the Dr's library to raid and am digging my way through several commentaries and the like, as well as a little bit of fiction she's got Pride and Prejudice, but I haven't started on it yet...)
Jenga is not a person, it's another NGO that has range of community project ranging from female education and empowerment to food storage and water projects to prison ministry and kids work.

I'm gonna cut myself off there!
Have good weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment